Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Day 3: Paint, Playground, Desks, Reading Corner, etc...


Day 3 Help Provide Paint for Playground, Hopping Games, Desks, etc…

About a month ago the director of the school came up to me and asked if I had ever heard of BBL(Brain Based Learning). I said that I wasn’t really sure as I’d learned of many different teaching techniques in college, and asked him to explain what BBL was. A few weeks later we had a weeklong meeting after school where we watched 8 videos that had been recorded as a teleconference all across Thailand to introduce first grade teachers to BBL. After the director and first grade teachers went to the teleconference, it had been decided that our school would begin teaching using BBL, beginning with the meeting to learn what it was. At the break the second day I talked to the director and said “I know why I had never heard of BBL before, because that is the system of learning I grew up in and learned in college.” To sum it up for you quickly, the main points are to have a playground and have students play at least 20 minutes per day, 3 times per week. Inviting classrooms, painted desks, bulletin boards, student work displayed around the room, etc… Teaching materials, things as simple as using cups to say chants and tap to help them remember things, using counting ducks(I used bears as a child), etc… Things that students can interact with instead of just writing on the board and lecturing. There were two more, but my notes aren’t with me now, and what I want to ask for help with has already been mentioned.

Basically, Thailand is just catching up with interactive learning. There is a big push by the education department to get this started, and my school is jumping on board. However, many of them have costs attached that we are working on raising, and you just might decide you want to help out with one of them. So, here they are

-      Paint for the playground. In the videos they made playgrounds out of old tires. Car tires half buried became stepping stones, or placed farther apart, obstacles to run zig-zag through. They also became steps to climb up one side with a slide on the other. Bike tires became jungle gyms and swings. We have many tires donated already, but wouldn’t it be more fun to play on if they were bright colored? That’s what the video said J

-      This one I’ll write paint for Hopping Games. In the video and on the internet they’ve found many different designs of things to paint on the ground that children can interact with. From hopscotch, to feet painted on either side of a line that they have to follow, to a cluster of circles in 3 colors that you have to jump from one side to the other on just your color, to letter and number practice, etc… The possibilities are endless of what could be made, right now it is only limited by the lack of paint to create them with.

-      Painting desks, the video also shared that different types of students learn best if their desks are painted different colors. I forget what they all mean, but the colors are green, yellow, blue, and pink. Most of the classrooms at the school have old wooden desks that have seen better days. One fifth grade class has gotten funding to paint their desks already, and what a difference it makes. Going from dark stained wood to colors brightens up the room quick, plus I’m hoping it will stop the carving/writing on the desks as they were the ones to help out doing the prepping and painting. Only time will tell if it actually helps them pay attention better, but I’m hoping it will. There are still 12 other classrooms that have desks that could use some TLC J

-      Classroom supplies. I’ve debated putting this one on here as its something I think they can do on their own, but who knows, maybe someone is interested in this. In the video they had a list of things that if you bought once you could use for a long time. For example, using wooden or plastic eggs and egg cartons, sticking a word on each egg, then having students sort them by what vowel sound was in the word. Once the eggs are purchased, they can be used for so many activities. They also showed how to use ping pong balls, spoons and forks, paper cups, paper plates, counting ducks, etc… If I remember right to buy the shelves and the recommended materials it would be less than $50 per set. It would then be up to the teachers to come up with the activities and use them. This should be something teachers could buy on their own, but who knows, maybe someone wants to help provide a few sets for teachers that are motivated to use them.

-      I remember another thing they mentioned, a reading corner in every room. Growing up, I LOVED the reading corner at school. You know, you finished your work and were allowed to quietly go to the reading corner and read while waiting for your friends to finish. Thais don’t really have books in the classroom, let alone a reading corner. Imagine donating money to buy a mat/chairs, bookshelf, basket for books, money to buy books, etc… You could suggest what to buy, let me suggest what to buy, or give a grant for a teacher to buy things on their own. I imagine even $100 would be able to create a simple reading corner of a mat, a basket, and depending on the type of books, up to 50 Thai books (this could be a really bad guess, it might be more like 20-30. I don’t really know) I’ve seen some classrooms have boxes that the student’s milk comes in with a blanket on top, I imagine this is what they are using as a reading corner. I’ll have to check on that and prices if anyone is interested in this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment