Sunday, September 1, 2013

Saying Good-Bye to Aunt Cindy and Uncle Dale

Well today was another interesting day at the lighthouse. We definitely don't like things to get boring around here. Mid morning a guy comes in and says his daughter doesn't think she can make it back and that she had had a history of epilepsy in the past. So, Dorothy called me over and we went out to see the girl. She was sitting on a bench with her mom. As we talked to them she took off her outer shirt because she was hot, but her body was shivering. After talking to them for a few minutes we decided it would be best to give them a ride to the state park just to be safe. So Dorothy had Dale bring the car around and the dad helped the young girl into the car. She kept saying she just wanted to lay down and she would feel better. We talked with them as we drove them out to their car. On the way out we had seen the dad and younger brother each trying to ride one bike and hold a second bike. When we were coming back to the lighthouse we saw a couple who had just been in the lighthouse each riding one of the extra bikes to help get the bikes back to the state park. Both times we had emergencies getting bikes back was involved and both times other people helped get them back. It reminds me that there is some good left in humanity.
A few minutes after I got back, I had visitors again. Some friends from SVSU, Beth, Amanda, and Kim showed up. I gave them a tour of the keepers quarters, we chatted, they climbed the tower, then I was in the video room so we chatted some more before they had to leave. It was fun to see them all and even though we had our busiest day so far it was nice to be able to take some time and talk with them.
After they left I ate lunch then it was my turn to climb the tower. I had a steady flow of people the entire 2 hours I was up there. It was fun and interesting to talk with people as usual. If you know me you know I like talking :)
When I came back out of the tower Cindy and I went out looking for flat rocks to stamp and take home. We each found more than enough, and I even found a Petoskey stone :) :) :)
Lenore and Sheila left as it was their last day. We finished up all of the end of the day stuff, then Cindy and Dale packed up their van. It was so sad to see their room empty. We followed them into town and had supper at a pizza place called Spanky's. If you are ever in Ludington I would definitely recommend it. After we ate we said good-bye and they headed home. We came back to the lighthouse, and spent the evening talking with 3 of the people who will be keepers the next two weeks. It was fun to meet them and get to know them. They've all been keepers before, so had interesting stories to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment