Saturday, August 31, 2013

AN ENGAGEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today was a wonderful day. I woke up in the lighthouse knowing we were going to help a couple get engaged that evening. What a great way to start a day!!!!!! I'm going to skip the boring details of the day and head straight to 5pm. I had just gotten down from my shift at the top at about 4:30. Dorothy said the mom had just called and the couple was on their way. The girl was wearing a red sundress and they had a child with them from a previous marriage. So, I climbed the tower for the second time that day and began my watch duties. There is a pair of binoculars at the top of the tower, so I sat in the doorway and read my book, every few minutes I would use the binoculars to see if they were in sight. After awhile I saw them and used the alert system to tell the people at the bottom the couple was in sight. Then, a few minutes later when they were next to the stump I called down again so they could open the door for the couple. A few minutes later they were at the top and somehow the child hit his knee on the top step and kind of whined. I was a little worried, but went through the spiel I give everyone at the top of the tower, even giving them stickers that said they climbed Big Sable Point Lighthouse. They then walked around to the backside of the tower and I listened as he gave her a charm for her bracelet of a man proposing, then got down on one knee and asked her to be his wife. The little boy started sobbing, he was so excited. He had known it was coming and had done a good job of keeping the secret. I went back to reading my book until they were ready to go down. The other keepers met them at the bottom and cheered. Brad had taken pictures of the engagement as it was happening from below, so they exchanged addresses so they could send the pictures to the couple. The woman kept saying "You guys made my entire life" after he told her we opened the lighthouse just for them. It was such a special moment to be able to help someone make their big day special. She told us she had been waiting for 6 years.
I had heard of them having engagements at the lighthouse, and was really hoping we would get one. It was so much fun to see their excitement and to know we made the day special and unique for them. The lighthouse will always be a special place for them, as it is for so many people for various reasons.
After they left we went up and ate supper. Aunt Cindy had some friends over, so Dorothy and I decided to go to the tower to paint our toes at sunset again. I had been planning to fly my kite on the beach, but they insisted I should try to fly it from the tower. So, we took it to the tower to fly, and let me tell you it wasn't the best idea I've ever had. At one point it was over the rail above where people walk, and then it wanted to fly out lower than I was standing before the little plastic hook became unclipped from the string and the kite flew down onto the dunes where Uncle Brad went to rescue it. We painted our toes and watched the sunset before climbing down.
It was another beautiful day at the top, a great afternoon, engagement, and sunset experience, but my legs are a little tired as I climbed to the top of the tower 3 times today. I'll try to keep it to one or two the next few days :)

No comments:

Post a Comment