Thursday, August 22, 2013

My first visitors!!!!!!!!!!!



explaining things in the video room
I HAD MY FIRST VISITORS!!!!!!!!!!!!

After we closed the lighthouse today we were getting ready to go into town for dinner. I was helping Cindy get the recycling to take it over to the campgrounds when my phone rang. Which was weird because we usually don’t get signal and last night I couldn’t even get signal in the tower, and tonight it rang while we were in the basement. It was my grandpa saying he was at my car. So, I grabbed a bag of recycling and we went and met them.

He made it to the top so he got a sticker
At the top with my grandpa
I brought them into the lighthouse and showed them the keepers’ quarters where we stay, then down into the gift shop so they could look around. I then took them into the video room and showed them the video and then gave the little spiel about the lighthouse (at least all the facts and things I’ve learned so far. Which, is far greater than the goal of 5 facts per day which would have me at 10 by this evening.) Grandpa wasn’t real sure he wanted to go up with his leg, but I was going to take grandma up so he came along too saying he could stop along the way. Well, they both ended up at the top and so I gave them stickers, opened up the door, and we went out and enjoyed the view and took some pictures. I gave them some more facts about the top and things up there, and then we climbed down. After locking everything back up, we got in my car and drove to town and had dinner at Subway. I took them back to their truck and grandma gave me some raspberries to share. They are so delicious!!!!!!
Can't forget grandma :)

When I got back to the lighthouse we played cards until I was about to fall asleep in my chair. I was so tired. So, I’m really writing this on Thursday morning as I climbed right into bed when we were finished.

Some other fun things that happened today:

·         This morning we had a string of children who were just barely over the 3 foot limit. It was so cute to see them when they got to the bottom. Some were champs and made it the whole way there and back, another one had tears as mom and dad encouraged him to walk the whole way. I almost think the little guys are less scared than the 6-15 year olds because they don’t know they should/shouldn’t be scared of heights.
look at those matching stickers

·         When I was at the top this afternoon the wind picked up about 20 minutes into my shift. I stood at the door and warned everyone of the wind and that they should leave their hats, glasses, and anything else other than cameras inside because of the wind. One guy didn’t listen and wanted to keep his hat. I heard him then tell his wife he almost lost it as he was clutching it in his fist.

·        Another guy from New York was in Michigan with his wife and they were touring lighthouses. He looks at me and says I have a lighthouse question you probably can’t answer. So I said it’s my second day, but I’ll try my best. He then asked about why there were 2 hatches on the way up and I just happened to know that that was to control the draft back when they had a kerosene light. So, I explained it to him and he was really impressed.

·      




So far lighthouse keeping has been everything I imagined it would be and more. I’m really looking forward to the rest of my time here. Learning about the light, relaxing, and sharing my love of lighthouses with the public.

Thanks for reading. Have an amazing day!!!!!!!!!


One of my favorite things at the top is that it says your shoes are 92 feet up. My goal is to get a picture with each of the pairs of shoes I brought at the top. Did you catch the one yesterday?

No comments:

Post a Comment