Saturday, May 18, 2013

The Princess Mows the Lawn

What girl doesn't think of themselves as a princess from time to time??? This girl definitely does. You know, as a daughter of the King of Kings I am a princess. However, when I went to Thailand I lived the life of a princess in a whole new way. Only when I came home did I realize how much I really was treated as a princess while I was there. I never had to think of when I would eat my next meal or where it would come from because it always showed up (oftentimes before I was really ready for a meal). If I wanted something all I had to do was ask. It was scary how many times I would think about something I wanted for a snack or for dinner and I wouldn't even tell anyone and within a day my host mom would have mysteriously read my mind and it would appear. Living with my host family I didn't have to do any house or yard work, it was all done for me. (The first year they cleaned my room every time I left until one time they moved EVERYTHING around and I told them not to go in my room anymore). I did do my own laundry and cleaned and maintained my bike. I sent my own letters and bought my own bus tickets. However, I really didn't ever have to worry about anything. About once a week one of my teachers would give me a present just because they saw something and wanted to buy it for me. When I bought ice cream at my school the students gave me extra because they loved me and the teacher had told them they could. They always looked out for me, if it was raining hard or if I was sick they had someone with a truck drive me and my bike home(thankfully that only happened 2 or 3 times). If my students saw me carrying a few bags they would run and take them from me and carry them to my house. There were constantly people wanting to spend time with me. I had students over each evening, after supper my mom and I sat on the porch and we talked until I went to my room at 8. I really became a princess without realizing it.
Lets just say this princess has had a few rude awakenings since being home. I think I mentioned once about how technology drives me crazy because people don't have time for each other and don't know how to have personal relationships anymore. No one fixes my every meal or anticipates when I'm hungry (Ok, that one is kind of nice because I can choose what I want to eat and even get to make some things!!!!!!!!!!).
Today though I had to laugh. I got some stuff done on the computer this morning, then I took a bath and washed my hair with my new apple shampoo I bought yesterday. I was so excited. I have always loved getting the apple shampoo because it reminds me of childhood and I like to use it a few times a week just to change things up and have a new scent. Then, this afternoon my parents said we needed to help get ready for Casey's open house. So, I went outside to help my brothers. They were digging up sod to put rocks in around the house. They were using both shovels and well that's not really my cup of tea. So, they suggested I mow the lawn. This princess has never set foot on the lawnmower in her 25 years living on this earth. So, Zach gives me a crash course and laughs at me as I can barely push the pedal to make it go backwards down. He shows me a few things and off I went. I did one of the side yards and then he set me to work on the other one, showing me the path I should start along.
As I was mowing I was laughing to myself how it would make a great children's book, The Princess Who Mowed the Lawn. Or something like that. In the book it would teach kids that while they may be the princess(or prince) some of the time there are other times where it's important to help the family get things done. I hate to admit it but it really wasn't that bad. I imagine if my dad doesn't look too closely and see all the places that I missed little strips as I was learning to turn the corners and fire me I could do it more throughout the summer to help them out. It probably won't become my favorite job, but its something that isn't intolerable and would really help out my dad. Sure, this princess didn't attempt the tricky spots and just stayed in the big areas but I would say its pretty good for my first attempt :) So, we'll see what other jobs they come up for this princess to do before Casey's big open house in 2 weeks. Who knows, this princess just might learn more new skills, or re-learn ones she had forgotten she had as she was playing the part of a Thai princess.

No comments:

Post a Comment