Sunday, October 27, 2013

Orientation

one of the houses built for the lepers to stay in
I arrived just in time for the last two days of orientation.
Thursday, we had worship in the morning, then headed to McKean an island that medical missionaries set up on to help patients with leprosy over 100 years ago. Now, they serve people with leprosy and are moving towards a new program focusing on elderly care. It was amazing to see a medical mission in Thailand. We toured the facility a little, and went to a shop that everything in it was made by the patients at McKean and we also saw some of the people while they were working on their crafts. It was amazing to see how they overcame the physical effects leprosy had on them to be able to make beautiful things to earn an income.

After lunch we had a few hours free time, so I read for a little bit and took a nap. Then, we met and talked about two chapters in a book we are to read called "More than a Native Speaker." For supper afterwards several of us went across the street a little ways to a couples house that serves Spaghetti dinner every Thursday night for anyone who wants to come and join for a meal and fellowship. It was quite the get together, and I had a chance to get to know a few of the volunteers who went.

one of the assisted living rooms in their new facility
Friday was their final day, and so we met in the morning for worship, then talked about two more chapters in the book. Then, a lady showed all of the volunteers how to write their names in Thai. After that the gardener took us outside and told us how the Thais use the entire banana tree, trunk, leaves, bananas, and the banana "flower" for different things. After that we had lunch, then the other volunteers were presented with certificates and after a few quick pictures the first one was off to her new school. After about half an hour a second girl was off to the airport to leave for her new school then a few minutes after that 3 other girls were picked up by a van who would drop each of them off at their schools.

a house in one of the communities where the
 leper patients live. We didn't go in one, but
 they looked cute.
It was a quick 2 days with those people and I didn't have that good of a chance to get to know them. However, two of them couldn't get tickets to leave til Monday so I had the weekend to spend time with them and get to know them. That is one thing I prayed for while I was stuck at home waiting for my visa, that the delay from the visa wouldn't hinder me from making a few close friends to have as a support system. It is so important to have people to support and who will support me. I was blessed over the weekend to form some closer relationships with other volunteers and the best part is they are Christian. I feel like this program has been night and day difference from the PC. I was so quickly accepted and embraced by everyone, our friendships have our Father in common, we are here to not only teach, but to reach out to the lost. I'm just in awe of all that God has provided me in such a short time.

some of the crafts they made to sell
One of my favorite moments was Sunday morning as a group we went to church. The service was in Thai, but they had 2 pews in the back where foreigners could sit and put on headsets to listen to the English translation. I has so much peace and happiness in that moment it was overwhelming. Then, I realized I get to go to church every Sunday while I'm here, I might be able to join a small group, my school will probably have worship a few times a week, and my teachers might have devotions together. What an amazing opportunity we are stepping into. God is so good.

Please pray for each of the volunteers as we go into our new schools, as we figure out the plans God has for us here, as we support and encourage each other, as we do daily life in a foreign country, as we learn and grow spiritually, the list could go on, but what I'm really asking is for your prayers that God would use us to touch the lives of those around us in the Land of Smiles.

even the Christians had to stop next to a
remarkable temple, notice this chedi is square
in the Burmese fashion.



No comments:

Post a Comment