Friday, January 24, 2014

Fence Building and Heart Breaking


building the fence, you see the red shirt choosing pieces, the
gray sweatshirt weaving them in, and the purple shirt tapping
them into place.
When I left my last class today I walked out to see that there were three of my 4th/5th grade boys building a bamboo fence where they did all of the work yesterday. I walked over to watch them and the one fourth grader who is fourteen started asking me questions about America and differences between here and there. He is a super smart boy and I’m always amazed at how quickly he picks things up and can memorize how to spell words super quick. He is also the boy who gave me the Hello Kitty Doll at Christmas, so he holds a special place in my heart even though this was kind of the first time we have really talked outside of the classroom.

Emanuel weaving the bamboo pieces into place
I was so impressed at how skilled they were in building the fence, finding two that were the same height, and then alternating which one went on which side and how well the boys worked together, one finding the pairs, one weaving them, and one using a machete to put them tightly up next to each other. As I was watching the conversation just flowed and we laughed and joked. It moved onto if I was a Christian or not, and so then I asked him if he was a Christian. Roughly translated, this was his response. “I used to be a Buddhist when I lived in Burma, but then my parents died and I came here and now I’m a Christian.” In that one sentence my heart broke for this boy. Here is a fourteen year old boy who is an orphan, studying in the fourth grade because he came to Thailand when he was older after his parents passed. I have been talking to students more and more lately and I can’t tell you the number of stories that are so similar to this one. As they get more comfortable with me and are willing to open up I imagine this will happen more and more. I don’t know how you prepare yourself for this type of conversation. Each time I just want to take them in my arms and make it all go away for them, to provide them a loving home, to show them God’s love, to ensure that they will have a promising future, but the reality of the situation is that I can’t do this for each of them. I can listen, I can sympathize, but I really don’t understand what they have been through and the struggles that they will have to go through for the rest of their lives. I pray daily that God will give me the words in these situations and that I can show them love that they might not be getting in the children’s homes that they are living at. My heart breaks for them and I constantly wish I could do more for them. Being here is more than just teaching English, I’m learning more and more each day that teaching English is just an excuse to be able to be here, to get to know the students and pour love and care into their lives that they might not get from anywhere else. Please pray for each of my students, and especially Emanuel who this story is about. Pray for his home as he is in the one that has a lot of problems, pray for his future, pray for his heart as he has gone through so much at such a young age, pray that he will stay in school and get an education, pray that I can continue to show him and the other students the love of God in real ways on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment