Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas Eve Memories


When I first found out I would be traveling over Christmas I wasn’t sure that I really wanted to come on the trip. There is something about being away on Christmas that is difficult. I wasn’t sure that going on a three day trip with 38 students and 5 other teachers was exactly what I wanted to do. However, as I thought and prayed about it, I realized that it would be selfish not to go, and more lonely if I stayed home. Sure, if I stayed home I would be able to make Christmas type foods, open presents by myself, wake up in a house alone on Christmas morning, read the Christmas story alone, sleep by my Christmas tree alone, etc… However, if I came on the trip I would be surrounded by my new family of teachers and students who I’ve gotten closer to working with them on singing, and would be able to share holiday experiences with them. I prayed about it and God helped me realize that for me it might be difficult traveling on Christmas, but it would be difficult being alone in my house that’s too big for one person as well. I also realized that many of the students who would be on the trip live in children’s homes, so don’t have Christmas morning memories like I do, so maybe I could help them make some. With many of these students all they need is time and attention. Many of the ones who live in Children’s homes don’t have people who love them and spend one on one time with them on a regular basis. They are kind of left to raise themselves, and the older ones are expected to help raise the younger ones. As I realized this I realized it would be a privilege to spend Christmas with them, loving them and supporting them as they sing. So, I decided I would not only go on the trip, but to make a small present for each student, a handmade yarn angel, a cake to celebrate Jesus’ birth, and 3 pieces of candy to represent the three gifts from the wise men. I had to hurry to get 44 angels made, the cakes and candy purchased, and all of the presents wrapped, but I made it. I loved knowing that I had presents in the bottom of my backpack for each of them and they didn’t know it J The phrase it is better to give than receive was ringing loud and clear as I wrapped the presents and anticipated giving them to the teachers and students.
the Christmas tree at 1 am Christmas Eve morning
Having said all that, thinking and praying about it is a lot easier than actually doing it. So, this morning at 1 am I woke up to go to the bathroom. As I got out of bed and walked around the edge of the room to go out back to the bathroom I realized that it was Christmas Eve and that we were all sleeping around a Christmas tree. See, in my family back home my siblings and I have a tradition to sleep around the tree on Christmas Eve. It is one of the things I miss most being away for Christmas. I don’t usually miss the presents and food, but I do miss the special traditions and things that you do together with family and friends at Christmas time. However, here I was halfway around the world on Christmas Eve, traveling away from my house here with a group of students and teachers who have become my adopted family and we were sleeping around the Christmas tree together on Christmas Eve. I won’t pretend that this didn’t bring me to tears, because it did. After I used the bathroom I went back into the room and just sat up for about an hour taking in the moment. I’m finding that the more I trust God with the big things He provides in the little things as well. To most people sleeping around the tree with twenty some students and teachers wouldn’t bring them to tears. However, I realized that God knows my heart and He knew I would miss home, so he provided this special moment for me to enjoy and take in. I found myself praying and praising Him for over an hour before going back to sleep wrapped in my Father’s arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment