Monday, December 23, 2013

Traveling


performing at the education office
This morning I got up at 5 and packed my bags as I was too tired to pack after the party last night. I also had about ten presents left to finish putting together and wrapping for my Christmas surprise for the students. I finished packing and getting everything together just as it was time to go to devotions with the teachers at 7. Monday mornings we have devotions, then the students line up and they do the morning assembly, and after that they have chapel in the meeting hall. After this I had two classes to teach before lunch. They had told me we were leaving at 12 which meant I would do all of these things, teach my classes, then eat lunch, get my bags and go. Life in Thailand rarely goes as we are expecting it to though, and where Thais are usually late for everything today as I was teaching my second class two of the boys came and asked where my bags were and said that everyone else was on the bus already except the teachers. So, I stopped what I was doing, put my things in my bag, and the boys followed me to my house. The principal came just as we were getting to my house and gave me the school camera and two boxes of a little chocolate chip shaped candy which isn’t very good. I quickly had a few things I needed to grab and throw into my bags and then they whisked them away to the bus. I guess they changed the time without telling me… Oh well. Such is life in Thailand.

As we headed out, they put me in a seat with two students at the front of the bus. As we were getting to the big town about half an hour away the girl on the end near the window puked all over herself. After just half an hour she had gotten car sick. So, as they cleaned up the mess I ran into a convenience store and bought some peanuts to eat as I didn’t know when we were going to stop and get lunch. When I came back they had moved me to sit next to a boy who is a lady boy and loves to hug on me. He ended up being my seat partner for the rest of the trip.

giving the director a basket for Christmas
Once we headed out of Sangklaburi we drove to the Education Area Office that our school is under. They went and sang for the people who work there to listen to and to let them know that we were going on to the regional competition. We also caroled and wished them a Merry Christmas. So, it was kind of a way to outreach and share the gospel as well as to let our students practice singing before people. After we sang the people at the office passed around an envelope and they all put money in it to help with our travel expenses for the trip. We also gave them a basket we had bought that is typical of the Christmas season to give baskets to people that you purchase already prepared and wrapped.

a truck full of bananas
a truckload of sugar cane
We then got back on the bus and drove to Kanchanaburi where we went to a church that was hosting us for the night. They had pillows and blankets laid out for each of us, and the girls stayed in the main room while the boys stayed in another room that I think might have been the office but I’m not sure as I didn’t go into it. They had dinner prepared for us, so the teachers helped dish out the rice, then we ate. They made a dish that I knew is often spicy, so as they were going to put it on my rice I was asking if it was spicy and to put it on the side, but as I was asking they said a little bit and put it right on top of all of my rice. Turns out it was more than a little spicy. It was very spicy. I was struggling to eat it and tears were falling when I looked over and saw that the teachers I were sitting with were also struggling. I then didn’t feel so bad, and ate a little more, then my fried egg. Afterwards all of the students were asking me why I was crying at dinner and kind of making fun of me for it, but they all agreed that it was very spicy and they could barely eat it. However, that didn’t stop them from staring at me while I was trying to eat it and laughing about it the rest of the trip.

a truck full of people
After supper it was time to shower. They realized there were only two showers for 38 students and 6 teachers, so they told the boys all to double up and take showers together. I was a little worried about the shower and sleeping situation before coming on the trip and when I heard they were taking showers together I was a little worried, until I realized I was a teacher and they wouldn’t make me shower with someone. It was kind of awkward to have your students running around in their towels or boxers getting ready to shower, or after they showered, but it didn’t seem to faze anyone else. Guess it’s just part of normal life for them, as many of the students live in children’s homes so are probably used to it and the students have grown up together.   

The women teachers were picked up by one of their brothers to go shopping. They realized I didn’t have black dress pants and a suit jacket, so they were taking me to buy that, and they also had things they needed. I was taken to a shop on the top floor of a little shopping mall type thing. The teacher that took me is heavier, and her twin daughters are very obese, so she took me to where they would have bought there dress clothes and asked the lady to measure me and told her what I needed. The lady took one look at me and said I needed to go to the shop across the aisle which had clothes for smaller people. However, when I went there they were Thai sizes so I needed a large. One thing you learn here is not to look at the sizes as long as it fits.

We then finished up our shopping, and at the final spot which was a grocery store the teacher I was with had to leave to go and do something, so she left me at the checkout with the things. The people there were talking in Thai trying to figure out how old I was. They came to the agreement that I was 16. Then, one of them said that they thought I understood Thai and to ask me, so they did and the people thought I misspoke when I assured them I was 26, not 16.

practicing before bed
We went back to the church where the students were finishing showering and getting ready to practice singing. The women teachers then had a chance to shower and get ready for bed. After I got ready I took pictures of them practicing as it was my job to be the photographer of the trip. When they finished we had Milo (which is hot chocolate) and cookies before bed.
I made my bed on the floor with the blanket they provided and another one under me, then two I had brought on top of me. I got out my bible and was reading the Christmas story in Matthew when one of the boys that I have a special spot in my heart for came and asked if I was reading the bible. I said yes, and asked if he wanted to read it with me. So, he sat next to me and I helped him read a paragraph or so in English. Then, I asked if he understood and translated for him. It was one of those special moments that you treasure up and realize that this is why you are here. After he left I got settled, closed my eyes, and prayed for the students and the opportunities I would have on the trip, and in the future to make a positive influence on their life. I also prayed for them that God would bless them and do great things in their lives. As I prayed I listened to them as they worked together to iron their Karen clothes for tomorrow. Some of the girls ironed for the boys and they just overall were patient using the two irons and helping each other out. Just like a big family. How blessed I am to be a part of this loving family.





No comments:

Post a Comment