Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Competition


Your sneak peak into the bag of presents before they
were handed out.
one student with her presents. It was more
fun to hand them out than to take pictures, so this is
the only pic I have of a student with a presnt.
Christmas morning I woke up at 5am to a room full of girls starting to get up and get ready for the competition. I read the Christmas story in bed, then got up and got ready. After I got dressed, I got out the bag of presents I had prepared and handed them out to the students. In each present I put a little cake to celebrate Jesus’ birthday, a yarn angel because the angels announced his birth, and three different candies for the three gifts given by the wise men. It wasn’t much, but it was all I could come up with on such short notice and I thought it was meaningful even though I ended up only telling a few of them what the meanings were… Some of them didn’t really realize it was Christmas morning even though we talked about it last night. It has been really strange to me that many students here don’t know that December 25th is Christmas. They just think that whenever someone says come to celebrate Christmas with this group that day is Christmas. However, they were more than happy to receive a present and it giving away 43 presents made me feel better about being away from home on Christmas. For it is better to give than receive.
singing at the school we stayed at.

warming up their bodies before warming up their voices
By quarter to seven we were all ready and walked our bags to the bus where we loaded them up, then went to where the school we were staying at had prepared breakfast for us. I was amazed as they served one of my favorite dishes when I lived in Chiang Rai that I haven’t had since I got here. It was such a wonderful Christmas surprise. After breakfast the students sang for some of the people at the school who had helped to take care of us, then we went and were trying to find bathrooms when my phone rang. My family called from the Christmas Eve service back home, so I was able to talk to a lot of people from my church. What a blessing it was to hear all of their voices. It was a little difficult to hear at times as we loaded on the bus, drove to the competition, and walked to where they were to compete all while I was on the phone. However, all of the moving and distractions kept me from crying as is my typical response to hearing everyone’s voices that I haven’t heard in a long time.

warming up their voices
When we got to where they were to compete they gathered and warmed up. It was funny as the first thing they had them do was jumping jacks before they started warming up their voices. They warmed up in the middle of a lot, there were other groups around that were warming up as well, but ours was by far the best of the 3 or 4 other groups I heard. However, there were over 30 schools competing so I knew our school was really good, but I also am biased because I’ve worked with them, teach them, and love them all.

just a little sewing before the competition, you never know
what you'll be asked to do, luckily I had a needle and thread handy
When it was our turn to line up the teachers had to hold onto purses, and wallets. It was so funny as we each had several different bags on us and I had 3 or 4 in my bag as well. They did last minute checks of uniforms to make sure collars were down, neckties were in place, and there weren’t any dust spots from sitting on the ground. I was talking with the bass boys and reminded them to watch the choir director and not me while I was taking pictures. Roughly translated they said they would stare at the handsome man (the director) while they were singing and then stare at the beautiful girl (me) the rest of the day. Oh how they tease me, but there really was a lot of truth in that sentence. Being the designated photographer the teachers made sure I was allowed in and had me go in before the students. The only rule was no video, only pictures could be taken while they were competing.

competing
competing
When they started they sounded so good. As they sang We Wish You a Merry Christmas I almost cried to see all of them on the stage singing on Christmas Day. However, I had to keep it together so I could take pictures and I didn’t want to worry the students while they were singing. When they finished they took a bow and filed back out of the room. One of the judges called the director over and talked to him for several minutes. I was so worried they had done something wrong and would be disqualified. However, the director came to the back where the teachers were and told us that the judge had just told him the only thing to change would be to add motions to the one song. The director then told me it was my job to come up with motions and teach them to the choir and that we were going to change from We Wish You a Merry Christmas to For the Longest Time (the song I had been helping them with last week). We hadn’t even been finished singing for 5 minutes and he was already making plans to go on to nationals. We listened to the group after us and our choir was by far better than theirs. The teachers then went out and met with the students. They were given half an hour to walk around and buy things before meeting at the bus to go to the beach.
with two of the female teachers and a student before leaving the school





No comments:

Post a Comment