Monday, December 30, 2013

Things they don't teach you growing up


Living on my own for the first time without a dad, or the university maintenance staff to fix things that go wrong in my house, I’m learning there are many things I never learned how to do on my own that someone should have taught me along the way. Here are two examples:

1.       How to fix the light bulbs here in Thailand. Since I got back from the trip with the choir the light in my room refuses to turn on. It will flash, sometimes for a second, sometimes for a few seconds before turning back off. I tried tapping it with a book to see if it was out of place, but think it’s either burning out, it’s been too cold for it to turn on all the way, or there are other possible problems light bulbs here could have that I don’t even know about. So, for the time being I just let it flicker and then use a flashlight to do what I need to do. It makes getting ready in the morning take a lot longer, using a flashlight to find things, and I have learned to stay downstairs and work in the evening until I’m ready for bed as the lights downstairs are fine, it’s just the one in my bedroom that won’t turn on.

don't worry, even in the midst of water shooting
everywhere I remembered to take a picture :)
2.       How to fix the faucet when water starts shooting out. See, I came home tonight and there was quite a steady drip coming out of the showerhead, so I tried to just turn the water off all the way, and as I did that the handle came off in my hand and water shot all over me, and as I moved aside it shot across the room, out the door and into the kitchen. I took the handle and tried to put it back on in place but couldn’t get the water to stop coming out. I had already locked my house, and didn’t have my phone in the bathroom with me, so calling someone wasn’t an option. I held the handle in place for several minutes trying to figure out what to do, then decided to try to get it to stay in place on its own, once I got it to stay I ran across the way to my neighbor’s house. She wasn’t home, and I accidentally woke up her husband who was sleeping at 7 o’clock. He said to get the janitor, so I went to his house but he wasn’t home. The neighbors husband ended up calling my neighbor who was at the school and had her send the janitor to my house to help me. He came and turned off the water to the entire house to try to fix the problem, but the handle was really broken and he said he has to get a new one. So, he found a little stopper one and put that in place so I could still use water in the rest of the house, and that one just has a slight drip.

So, those are the two things I should have learned to do, but even now that I have a problem I still can’t fix them on my own and am waiting for someone to come and help me. To shower I have to use the hose that I use to fill the washing machine with. I feel like I’m camping as it has been really cold and I’ve been living in two layers of warm clothes, I use a hose to shower with, and a flashlight in my bedroom. Oh well, such is life, it would be boring if everything worked how it’s supposed to all the time right?

No comments:

Post a Comment