Thursday, November 7, 2013

My first week


This afternoon I sat and watched as around me students were practicing for sports day after school. I watched as different teachers worked with students at each sport. I watched as older students helped the younger ones. I watched as the girls played against the boys for competition. I watched as ones too young to play got the ball when it went out for the older ones. I watched as little boys used the Da graw net to play volleyball after the older ones were done practicing. The net was just perfect for their size and I thought about how in a few years it would be them playing on the full size court next to it. As I watched, I recognized some of my students, ones who were shy, ones who talked out, ones who already come up and hold my hand and are concerned about where I’m going. I thought back to just an hour before and how one of the teachers asked me to play badminton and within minutes there were at least 50 students standing around watching as their new foreign teacher played badminton.

As I watched these things I realized something, I arrived in this village 7 days ago, and already it has captured a piece of my heart. This school is one big family. There are at least 4 sets of teachers who are parent-child working at the school. In the devotions this morning the headmaster was talking about how at another private school in the main city of the province teachers come for a year or two and can’t wait to leave. However, at our school, teachers come and don’t want to leave, they stay because it becomes their family and their home. This village is also becoming my home. Sure, I’ve only been here a week, but I have a love for the people here that far extends that time. I haven’t even taught 3 of my classes yet and have had 4 of them only one time, and 2 of them twice. However, I already have children who are becoming my favorites. I know as a teacher you aren’t supposed to do that, but some of them stick out more than others and in a comment, an action, or being around them for a few minutes they stole a piece of my heart. I can’t wait to get to know them better and see what God has planned for them and what He would have me do to be a part of their lives.

When I arrived last Friday the director was introducing me as the foreign teacher who was coming for 20 years (instead of 2). I’m not going to make any commitments yet, as I don’t know what God has planned, but slowly I’m seeing where this village and school has already become a big part of my life and always will be.

Please pray for me as I get to know the school and community better. There are so many different Christian missions here, and so many people who are much less fortunate than I am. Pray that I can find ways that God can best use me not only at my school, but as a member of the community as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment